Vinicius Junior set to cancel his 7 million pounds a year deal with Nike, says they gave him old boots
Vinicius Jr. of Brazil and Real Madrid has reportedly filed a lawsuit to get out of his £7 million-a-year contract with Nike after the sportswear giant gave him old boots last season.
Vinicius, 22, who is representing his country in the World Cup in Qatar, believes the company has treated him unfairly.
According to O Globo in Brazil, Vinicius has instructed his lawyers to try to get him out of his contract with the sportswear giant.
As of now, he is still under contract and is wearing Nike boots at the World Cup.
Vinicius Jr’s contract with the sportswear company expires in 2028, and the lawsuit was filed just before the World Cup.
He wore an older version of Nike Mercurial boots during Real Madrid’s run to the Champions League title last season, and the quick attacker believes Nike should recognise him as one of their biggest stars.
He is also said to have skipped a number of Nike-sponsored events.
If Vinicius Jr. leaves Nike, competitors such as Adidas, Puma, and Reebok will undoubtedly compete for his signature.
He will next appear for the Selecao when they face Croatia in a World Cup quarter-final on Friday.
READ ALSO:Brazilian Football legend Pele hospitalized with swollen body and heart condition.
Andre Onana of Cameroon retires from International football after fallout with management
Andre Onana of Inter Milan has announced his retirement from the Cameroonian national team following a squabble with coach Rigobert Song during the World Cup.
Despite a late winner against Brazil in Group G, the Indomitable Lions did not advance beyond the Group stage.
The Lions conceded three goals without Onana, but only one from his fellow Cameroonian native, Breel Embolo, while he was in goal.
The disagreement between the Cameroonian legend and the goalkeeper was over Onana’s goalkeeping style.
Back at club level, the 26-year-old comes out more and plays like an 11th man for the team, giving him more touches on the ball.
Rigobert demanded that Onana play a more traditional keeping style, which means he comes out less, but Onana refuses to change his game.
“After endless hours of training, endless trips, and a lot of perseverance, I can proudly say that I have fulfilled my great dream,” Onana wrote on his social media pages.
“But every story, however beautiful it may be, has to end. And my story with the Cameroonian national team has come to an end.
“Players come and go, names are fleeting, but Cameroon comes before any person or player.
“Cameroon remains eternal and so does my love for the national team and for our people who have always supported us”
“My feeling will never change. My Cameroonian heart will continue to beat and wherever I go I will always fight to lift the flag of Cameroon as high as possible.”
Onana returned home after only appearing in the Indomitable Lions’ first match against Switzerland.
READ ALSO:Cameroon’s first choice keeper Andre Onana sent home from World Cup following disagreement with Team Manager
French Squad battle mysterious virus outbreak barely 24 hours to World Cup final
On the eve of the World Cup final against Argentina, France coach Didier Deschamps was concerned about the fitness of several key players on Saturday.
With less than 24 hours until the world champions face Lionel Messi and Argentina at Doha’s Lusail Stadium on Sunday, France has been hit by a viral outbreak that has affected five players so far.
The illness forced central defenders Raphael Varane and Ibrahima Konate, as well as winger Kingsley Coman, to miss a training session on Friday.
Two days earlier, Adrien Rabiot and Dayot Upamecano were ruled out of Wednesday’s semi-final victory over Morocco.
In recent days, players, staff, and other sources close to the French squad have reported a variety of symptoms affecting the team, including fever, stomach pain, and headaches.
“We’re trying to take as many precautions as we can, adapt as needed, and move on,” Deschamps said at a press conference.
“Obviously, it would be preferable if this did not occur, but we are handling it as well as we can with our medical staff.”
Later Saturday, after all 24 members of Deschamps’ squad took to the field for the start of a final team practice, the French camp issued a more encouraging message.
However, it was unclear whether all players participated fully in the session, which was only open to the media for the first 15 minutes.
The virus scare threatens to derail France’s bid to become the first team since Brazil in 1962 to win back-to-back World Cups.
READ ALSO:Morocco takes the world by storm in FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022, becomes the first African nation to reach the semifinals.
Morocco takes the world by storm in FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022, becomes the first African nation to reach the semifinals.
Morocco makes history as the first African nation to make it to semifinals of the FIFA World Cup currently ongoing in Qatar.
The Atlas Lions as they are called beat Cristiano Ronaldo’s Portugal with a lone goal scored by striker Yousouf El Neysri in a nail- biting quarter final encounter.
The Moroccans scored the goal via a header from the Sevilla FC of Spain striker in the 42nd minute of the first half following a crossing from wing back Yahia Attiyat Allah.
The North Africans had earlier eliminated European giants Spain in the round of 16 through a penalty shootout, after topping their group at the group stage.
Morocco will likely face the winners of the last quarter final clash between former champions France and England.
READ ALSO”What are you looking at, fool?”___Leo Messi to Dutch Striker Wout Weghorst after the ill-tempered quarter final clash in Qatar.